Animal rescue and foster based nonprofit organizations, pet shelters and sanctuaries are invited to apply for the SWATT Program by filling out an application, which can be found under Rescue Forms. After review of the completed application and approval of same, a notification will be sent to the chat created for your rescue organization on FB Messenger. Please review The Policy and Procedures and share with all volunteers involved in transporting to help make each transport as stress free as possible.
A Transport Request Form must be completed to initiate a transport request. Once the request is reviewed, a call for transport is posted to all Flight Angels. Please note it can take up to 5 days to post a TR and up to 2 weeks to fill a TR.
When a Flight Angel is found, an offer for transport will be presented to the rescue organization by a designated Transport Coordinator. After the offer is accepted, a Facebook Group Message will be created between the rescue organization, the Flight Angel, and the Transport Coordinator. This allows for consistent communication between related parties engaged in the transport. All communications need to be reflective of pertinent transport information. Contacting a Flight Angel outside the Facebook Group Message may result in removal from the SWATT Program.
Listed below are the procedures for the day of transport.
- The Flight Angel and the rescue organization’s designated drop-off person meet inside the airport at the Southwest Ticket Counter two (2) hours prior to the scheduled departure time. Please be sure to allow ample time for parking before proceeding inside the terminal to meet the Flight Angel.
- After a brief meet and greet, the Flight Angel, along with the animal, will proceed to the ticket counter to pay the required ninety-five-dollar ($95) pet fare.
- The designated drop-off person should remain available in the event the transport cancels.
- The Flight Angel, along with the animal, will proceed through security. Private screenings are required for all feline transports.
- The Flight Angel, along with the animal, will proceed to the assigned gate no later than 30 minutes prior to the scheduled departure time.
- The Flight Angel will advise, via Facebook Group Message, once (s)he is cleared to board the aircraft.
- The designated pick-up person shall monitor the Facebook Group Message for all notifications related to said transport. In addition, the designated pick-up person shall monitor the flight, as arrival times are subject to change.
- The designated pick-up person shall arrive at the airport and proceed inside the terminal to the prearranged meeting location.
- Upon landing, the Flight Angel will advise, via Facebook Group Message, and proceed to the prearranged meeting location inside the terminal.
- SWATT LUVs to document its pawssengers’ travels on social media and its website, so please include any photographs in the Facebook Group Message.
TIPS FOR TRAVEL
Prior to the day of transport –
- Refer to the Supply List for items necessary for travel.
- Practice carrier training a few days prior to the flight to acclimate the animal to a confined space and familiarize it with the carrier.
- Place a small blanket with a familiar scent to the animal inside the carrier.
- Provide calming chews or a stronger sedative, if recommended by a veterinarian.
- To ensure no adverse reactions of intolerances occur, administer calming chews or sedatives a few days prior to transport, saving a dose for the day of transport.
- Share any special instructions and/or information about the animal on the Facebook Group Message.
Day/night prior to the transport –
- Refrain from feeding food at least six hours prior to the scheduled departure time or after 11:00 P.M. the night before an early morning departure time.
- Limit water intake.
- Confirm pick-up meeting place in the Facebook Group Message.
- Review the Supply List for items necessary for travel.
Day of transport –
- If you have a long drive to the airport, allow for a potty break before arriving at the terminal.
- Allow ample time to park and meet the Flight Angel at the Southwest Ticket counter two (2) hours prior to the scheduled departure time.
- Take photos.